Thursday, May 8, 2008

Do We Care?

LinkDo We Care? oil on canvas 28" x 32" 2007

This painting is now in an exhibition, opening tomorrow, at the Creative Arts Workshop in New Haven. Please click on URL address to see more about the exhibit: http://www.creativeartsworkshop.org/html/exhibitions/juried.html

A statement relating to the painting
Do We Care?

In this most recent series of paintings, I am working with images that I see as I pass by bars and cafes at night, with glass windows that reflect the images of the street and intermix them with the images of the people inside and the interior spaces of the bars and cafes. At Times Square, there is the added dimension of media images mixing with and cutting into the people who are having drinks on the other side of the glass. Media images have become part of our immediate reality, forever cutting into our collective sense of self.

Also, as we sip our wine and experience a certain self-satisfaction with our lives, troubles out there in the larger world haunt us. Intrusive thoughts, of terrorist acts, bombed-out buildings, random violence, the after-effects of war, come into our minds and become part of our reality.

I have attempted here to make visible the intertwining of our inner thoughts and immediate pleasures; a segment of our collective urban experience.

No comments: