Friday, April 23, 2010

Brooklyn Historical Society



No Pets
oil on linen
24" x 26"











As a result of participating in an exhibition last fall at the Brooklyn Historical Society, I was invited to submit paintings for donation to the permanent collection.  They chose two paintings:  No Pets, pictured above, which was in the exhibit, and Red Hook Wharf, pictured below.   No Pets is related to my Outside Looking In series and seems, to me, in its cast of characters, to be "very Brooklyn."




Red Hook Wharf
oil on linen
16" x 20"










This building was part of a sugar factory complex that was tumbling down for many years and has now been scraped away to make way for more modern structures.  The pier juts out from the southern end of Van Brunt in Brooklyn's Red Hook area.  I painted Red Hook Wharf plein air on a pleasant summer day, the sun transforming bricks and rotting wood into lightness and warmth.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow neat! This is a really great site! I am wondering if anyone else has come across something
similar in the past? Keep up the great work!